Are your kids getting cabin fever like mine are, I don’t mind cold weather especially if it snows, but we just can’t get outside as much as we usually do it’s just too cold even though here it doesn’t get nearly as cold as it does some places but to us it’s freezing. But since my kids love the outdoors and we just can’t make it out like we want to I’ll share a few fun things to do during this cold weather.
- Always have play dough on hand or if you don’t have any make some of your own, there are tons of recipes for it everywhere here’s one we like: 1/4 cup salt
1 cup flour
1/4 cup waterLet your child mix the flour and salt in a bowl then add water. Knead the dough to make a clay consistency. You may need to add more water.
You can also add color with food coloring, or use unsweetened Kool-Aid for a nice scent and color, you can even make it sparkle with glitter.
- Obstacle course: Get out their remote control cars and put some large cans or paper towels under the rug and let them jump their cars over it they will be occupied doing this forever! You can also do this with their hotwheel cars but it’s even more fun with the remote control ones.
- Cooking: no matter what the weather my kids love helping in the kitchen, but make sure to let them help out even more during the cold months to give them something to do plus, who doesn’t like an excuse to bake!
- “Washing dishes”: My kids also love to help wash dishes they think it is a game so give them a bin of water and some dishes and let them go to town (this works well in the bathtub too so they can be as messy with it as they want and you don’t have to worry about water getting everywhere)
- Play Stations: Set up different little play stations, spend about 10-20 minutes at each one and then start all over again. Ideas for this would be play dough, painting/coloring, tea party, cars, baby dolls, pretend play/dress up
- Dance: Cut on some music and have a little dance party, who cares how silly you look, the kids will love it and you will have tons of fun too.
- Reading: Do lots and lots of reading all throughout the day snuggle up on the couch and just read to them, get them to read to you or just make up stories together and act the stories out (hot chocolate makes this even better)
These are just a few things you can do during this cold weather, do you have any other ideas? Comment below and share them with me.